At Drover we’re proud to offer easy, flexible access to a car, and to that end we offer two flavours of subscription when it comes to insurance. Please note that we can’t offer advice on which option is best for you, so the following is purely informational and doesn’t constitute personalised advice.
Option A is Drover’s all-inclusive subscription fee - available online 24/7 or over the phone during business hours. The subscription fee includes everything but fuel - vehicle rental, servicing and maintenance, tax, breakdown recovery, and comprehensive insurance.
Option B includes all of the above except comprehensive insurance - allowing you to choose your own comprehensive insurance provider. To protect both our customers and fleet partners, if you wish to use your own insurer in lieu of Drover-provided cover, there are a few steps to follow - which means your subscription can only be completed over the phone once your alternative policy documents have been validated and approved.
There is no need to purchase cover for the purpose of our assessment, nor is a fee applicable if we’re unable to approve your proposed cover - or if you choose not to proceed. If approved, and you wish to proceed with a subscription, an administration fee of £100 applies to cover the cost of expert policy assessment.
Here’s how to get started with Option B:
- Please read the guide below in full before starting, and contact us via phone or chat if you have any doubts: we’ll be happy to help.
- Once your profile has been approved and you’ve chosen the vehicle(s) that you’d like to subscribe to, please request the age and approximate value of the vehicle via Drover's online chat system. This will allow you to get a quote. More specific information (including the vehicle registration number) can only be provided if your proposed policy is approved by Drover.
- Use the details provided to shop around for suitable comprehensive cover. You must inform the insurer at the application stage that you are neither owner nor registered keeper of the vehicle, and that the vehicle is rented to you under a non-regulated hire agreement (this is unfortunately something most standard personal motor insurance policies will not cover), and that in case of a total loss, your insurer must compensate the lawful owner of the vehicle for its market value directly. The comprehensive policy you’d like to propose for assessment must meet or exceed the cover of the Drover-provided policy. For comparison, the relevant full insurance policy wording can be found on the vehicle booking page adjacent to the button labelled “Confirm & pay for subscription”.
- The following criteria also apply and must be evidenced in writing (email or written are both acceptable) for Drover to assess your self-insured policy:
(A) That the insurer acknowledges that you are neither owner nor registered keeper of the vehicle, and that the vehicle is rented to you under a non-regulated hire agreement (most personal motor insurance policies will not cover this), and that in case of a total loss, your insurer must compensate the lawful owner of the vehicle for its market value directly
(B) The policy must as a minimum cover the full duration of your subscription
(C) Any additional drivers on the policy must be Drover-approved
(D) In case of a claim, after notifying your insurer, you must contact Drover within 24 hours such that the vehicle owner can be kept informed of developments
(E) In case of a claim, your insurer must agree to allow Drover to select a suitable repairer, and in case of private use vehicles (does not apply to PCO-licenced vehicles), the insurer must provide you with a suitable courtesy vehicle at their expense
5. Once you’ve obtained a quotation and the additional written confirmation detailed above from the insurer, please use this form to submit the policy wording and key facts document (or IPID) documents for assessment, as well as your correspondence with the proposed insurer confirming the additional criteria mentioned above. There is no need to purchase cover for the purposes of our assessment.
6. We will then endeavour to review your proposed policy as soon as possible, but in any case, within two working days. We will let you know by email whether we accept or decline the proposed policy.
7. Should you wish to proceed with your subscription at this juncture, let us know by email, and we will contact you by phone to run you through the booking initiation process (NB this process is not yet possible online), which will mean charging your first month’s subscription payment as well as your deposit. This will allow us to contact the vehicle owner and relay the vehicle registration, allowing you to purchase your preferred insurance policy. As above, please ensure the approved policy cover period covers (as a minimum) your preferred subscription duration.
8. In order to confirm your booking with the vehicle owner, we then charge an administration fee of £100 to cover the cost of expert assessment of your alternative policy and ask that you then submit your insurance policy documents (including the policy schedule and certificate) by email for our records. As a gesture of goodwill there is no charge if we’re unable to approve your proposed policy.
9. Once all the steps above are satisfied we will be happy to welcome you as our newest subscriber!