The easiest and fastest way to get a Car on Drover is to use our all-inclusive service to provide your insurance. If you wish to use your own insurance, there are a few extra steps to follow.
Please make sure you read this guide in full before starting and contact us using this web form if you have any questions.
1) Select a car and the type of subscription you want
Customise your subscription with the mileage, duration and delivery option you want. On the insurance option, choose “Not included - add your own policy”. Complete all the steps of the normal subscription process on our website.
2) Get approved!
Once you select a car, your Drover profile will be assessed by our Approvals Team so all checks can be made and your account can be approved. You can read more about these checks here.
3) Find the right cover
Use the car VRN and value details we provide to shop around for suitable comprehensive covers. You must inform the insurer at the application stage that you are neither the owner or the registered keeper of the vehicle, and that in case of a total loss, your insurer must compensate the lawful owner of the vehicle for its market value directly.
The comprehensive policy you’d like to propose for assessment must meet or exceed the following criteria:
- You must purchase a comprehensive motor policy
- The main policyholder must also be the main driver on the subscription
- We do not accept telematics-based products
- The policy must start on or before your vehicle delivery date
- In the event of a total loss, your policy must cover the market value of the vehicle
- Your excess must be below £1,500
- You must tell your insurer that you lease the vehicle and are not the keeper or owner
- Any permitted driver on the insurance policy must also be an additional driver on the subscription and vice versa
- The insurance must not cover use for business as our subscriptions are for consumers only
For comparison, our Insurance Product Information Document can be found here.
Extra tip - send your quote to email@example.com
This is not a mandatory step, but you can send us your quote prior to completing the insurance purchase. We are happy to assess if it fulfils our requirements and advise if any change should be made. If you need to request a change in your insurance policy after completing the purchase, an admin fee might be applied.
4) We’ll review everything
Please send us the following documents in order to get your policy approved:
- Certificate of Motor Insurance
- Policy Schedule
- Insurance Product Information Document (IPID)
We may also ask you for your full policy wording later if we require it. We’ll review your submission in 24 hours and let you know by email whether we accept or reject your proposed policy. If we decline the policy, you can try and find a more suitable alternative, or just cancel free of charge if you don’t wish to proceed.
5) Booking confirmed!
Once we have received your policy documents and are satisfied that everything is in order, we’ll confirm by email and arrange for your car to be delivered.
Please note, we can’t offer advice on which insurance option is best for you, so this article is purely informational and doesn’t constitute personalised advice.
Do you have more questions about using your own insurance? Reach out to our team using this web form and an agent will get in touch as soon as possible.